"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Monday, December 7, 2009

Brief post about actual training

The temps are falling into the single digits and the 30 degree drop in a week has even hardy Minnesotans unsure of their clothing and preparedness. I've been running 9 miles a bit faster than 9 minutes per mile whenever possible, which has been about every other day.

Tis the season... to spend more time getting dressed and undressed than actually running and to think about the next year. Here's where my head is right now:

Current training: 75 minutes per day run, plus some powerwalking - 105 minutes walked in a second workout on Tuesday or Wednesday and 105 tacked onto the end of a run on Saturday or Sunday. I attempted the 3 hour workout for the first time yesterday, but quit early when hungry and lightheaded (and found later I have to deal with chafed nipples and flaking skin under my beard already. Why do I live here again?)

Ideal training with 2:50 road marathon & Sawtooth 100 mile finish as a goal:

Monday: 75 minutes (10 miles)
Tuesday: 75 min. with Yasso's 10x800m in 2:50- 3 minute recovery (11 miles)
Wednesday: 75 min
Thursday: 105 min. hill run (10 miles) with Tabata's 8x20sec-10sec. sprints
Friday: 75 min
Saturday: 75 min at mar. pace (12 miles)
Sunday: 255 min. trail/hill run (22 miles)

That's 85 miles a week. That oughta get me injured by... May.

5 comments:

Colin Gardner-Springer said...

2:50? Wow, that's an aggressive goal ... I'm telling you, you want to run the Green Bay marathon! Minneapolis is somewhat hilly and you'd likely have to run largely solo (last year only one person was sub-2:50; second place was 2:58). Mad City wasn't much better, with 5 sub-2:50 results and several more in the 2:53 - 2:59 range. By contrast Green Bay had 29 sub-2:50 results and 25 in the 2:50-2:59 range. It's got to be a lot easier to run that fast with other runners nearby ... And before & after the race you'll have the company of yours truly going after my somewhat slower 3:00 goal!

nwgdc said...

I'm just hoping you consider the Wisconsin marathon on early may. That's likely where I'd like to break 3. I would love to ride your coattails to something even better!

joyRuN said...

Wowzers on your training plan! I feel wimpy now.

SteveQ said...

2:50's probably a pipe dream, but I like to aim high, fall short, complain about it and have people say I did well. Green Bay and Kenosha are both on my radar - I'll keep you posted.

The Merry said...

Yikes! I'm impressed with all you hardy Minnesotans!