"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Saturday, March 30, 2013

Hubris

Looking past the upcoming 50K to my summer 1 Mile training, I had come up with a plan that wasn't just good or great or brilliant or even genius. It was perfect. It had everything that anyone had ever thought of, in just the right amounts, with nothing extra. It would work for anybody. I told a friend about it, who also is training for a mile and he asked for a copy. I started writing it out, with explanations of the reasoning, then saw that he wouldn't get the rationale, so started putting it in specious terms he'd believe.

Then I saw it again. It was a disaster. It was just a hodge-podge of bad ideas. It wasn't specific to my needs. It didn't allow for change and growth. I had created the Edsel of training plans.

Yesterday, starting from scratch, I came up with a new plan: simple, concise, workable. If it still looks good a week from now, I'll share it.

No comments: