"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Sunday, August 15, 2010

How's that there trainin' goin', pardner?

I tried to convince myself that I was running slow and quitting early because of the weather. Today we got a reprieve from the heat and humidity and I went out for a long run. At 6 miles, my right heel and ankle were hurting and I was limping badly by 10; I slogged through 16 in 2:35. Retirement's looking good again.

For those wondering (both of you), there's bony growths on the heel that need to be surgically shaved off and a bursa probably needs to be removed. There's arthritis in the ankle and, while a handful of painkillers might make running easier, it's going to get worse until the joint just wears out. Careers end with a whimper, not a bang...

I got an invitation to join someone (local ultrarunners will need only one guess who) on a trip to the Leadville 100, Angeles Crest 100 and then a rim-to-rim-to-rim run at the Grand Canyon all in about 10 days. I had to say no.

I'm in "one of those moods" again, thinking I'll write my final thoughts on marathon training and then pull the plug on the blog, the training and whatever else goes with it.

Nice day, though.

8 comments:

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Hmmm ... how long after RBR reads this post does she buy a plane ticket to Minnesota to talk you off the ledge?

My money's on 5 minutes.

I ran 10.85 miles today and it took me 1:47:22 which is a 6.1 mph pace and it's the first two-digit run I've done since freaking April and I'm, as the Brits would say, well-chuffed with my performance.

See? There are alternatives to stopping. Like embracing mediocrity.

The air's not so bad down here.

RBR said...

Sheesh. If you don't want to run with me you don't have to be all dramatic about it and retire from running and blogging.

I mean, the one restraining order is enough. I get it.

That order does expire soon. I knew you didn't really mean it. ;)

For the record, both the view and the air from below mediocrity is pretty awful. I blame G's flat, 50 year old, Irish ass.

wildknits said...

I am wondering if it is time to set some new goals that take into account the reality that your body is dictating?

I also get wanting to run at the best of your ability at all times.

Maybe a break is needed... though if anything like me there had better be another hobby to take it's place or... well the energy has to go somewhere.

Why pull the plug on blogging? So, yeah, came here first to read about running, but stay because of all the other stuff.

Scream'n Turtle said...

Steve,
Never pull plug on blogs.
Your great at it.
We must be drinking the same water source.
Bone spurs in feet, both around 48 years old,on the verge of questioning running? Might just be the age limit thing-I don't know.
Hang in there , I have more down days now instead of up days while running, but when the up days are here-I love it-but feel the "love" in my feet % anles when done. It's worth it I belive.
If I happen to find that fountain of youth, I'll throw a splash your way ok.

sea legs girl said...

Steve,

I am really sorry about your heal. I remember you pointing it out on our run, of course. The chances of you doing this are slim, but what if you found some sort of exercise for a week or so that wasn't running and gave running a break? Maybe when you come back the dynamic in that heal will have changed. Sometimes it is hard to tell what is spur and what is an injury from running strangely due to the initial pain. But if you have had this many time and every time it just gets worse, you are right that you should find some sort of lasting treatment for it.

That is a shame about Leadville...

Congrats to Glaven on his run! That is a good pace!

joyRuN said...

Don't retire! Maybe running slower would be kinder on the heel?

I've tried running fastish, I've tried running slow. Unfortunately for me, it's running that hurts, no matter what fucking speed.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

ZOMG, Steve!1! RBR talks about being bit on the @$$ in her latest post!

If THAT's not a reason to continue inhabiting the blogosphere, then you are one jaded, jaded man.

Or gay.

C said...

You can't leave the blogosphere.

Because I said so. That's why.