"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Saturday, April 3, 2010

Life By Misadventure

Some accidents end up with paperwork that reads "death by misadventure." It's got me thinking of changing the name of the blog to that.

I just got back from the Ron Daws 25K. It was great to see so many people I haven't seen in a while (Wynn's got tattoo sleeves now). I felt good and rested. I started off well, breathing harder than I should, but I'd done no warm-up, so I knew it'd even out soon. Asked Ramacier about running Kettle Moraine for his first 100, then backed off (what was I doing running with him?) and hit the first mile in 6:41. Hit the second mile in 6:41 as well.

Then I pulled my left calf. There's the unmistakeable bee sting/pellet gun pain that comes with a pull. I made a quick decision on whether to just walk back to the start or to try to finish the loop and I went on, hoping things would get better. I got to say "hi" to a few people that way, including Steve S. whose racing this year rivals mine from last year. I stopped every mile or two to feel around the calf; the pain was right at the attachment of the achilles tendon. As I continued, I started to wonder if it was a torn achilles.

The difference? Torn calf - out for six weeks. Torn achilles - out for the year. We'll see.

15 comments:

Londell said...

Good luck... What a bummer. If I said I pray it is only a torn calf but that sounds bad. So I hope it was just a strain, or could hope it was just a bee sting, I doubt that in this weather. Either way, will pray for the best.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Ditto on what Londell said. I can't say I hope it's a torn calf because that sounds pretty bad.

I'll just say I hope it turns out not to be as bad as you think.

Anonymous said...

I kept waiting for another April Fool's "gotcha" moment - how sad it never came. So sorry to read about the strain, hopefully it can heal fast. You have been through a lot this past year - your one tough MOFO!

Mark H. said...

Good luck with recovering from that injury, Steve.

Mark said...

There is an article in this month's Runners World about the positive side of being injured. I guess it's mostly about the value of cross training and appreciating running more.

As someone who is out of commission right now with a torn meniscus I'm having a hard time buying in, but maybe it will help you.

RBR said...

Ugh, I am so sorry. I really hope it is not a season ending injury for you.

Take care of yourself and listen to your body and any other platitudes I can throw down. Sheesh, sorry about that...

Sending good vibes your way.

Georgia Snail said...

that effin sucks Steve, I hope for a speedy recovery for you....

Carilyn said...

Oh my gosh! I just got your post. Don't fear. You probably don't remember, but I tore me achilles last November. I had Worlds in May, and I was freaking out! I sucked it up, let them cast me, and walked (with a weighted vest) for 12 weeks. Cast off, ran a marathon, and went from there. It all worked out fine. E-mail me if you need more info.

Psyche said...

That totally sucks, Steve. So sorry to hear that bad news. Hope it's not what you think..Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Steve, I am incredibly upset over the prospect that you might really be hurt; because not only are you the guy who forced me to come to grips with the fact that you Ultra guys are not just a bunch of bone-head jocks (obviously you're not), I also find your posts to be incredibly challenging intellectually - I really do read every word, not just the first line - and I am in awe of your Renaissance Man-like skills.

You are a good man, my brother, and I thank you for broadening my horizons in every way.

I never know what I'm going to find when I visit your blog. All I know is I'll certainly enjoy it, no matter the topic!

Happy Easter, Steve! I know you're not really happy unless you are running, but there are many of us out here who are happy when you are blogging about running or anything else.

You sustain us, brother! Even if you are injured, don't stop!

ShutUpandRun said...

Hope this one resolves quickly and that it's nothing too serious. Steve Q not being able to run could be tough.

Beth said...

I'm sorry you are hurt. I hope it is the lesser for the two evils. I just couldn't bring myself to do the Ron Daws this year. I opted for the easier and shorter Kurts next weekend. Hope you are back at it soon.

Mitch R. said...

I will pray for you.

C said...

You have not listened to my edict about RBFs not hurting themselves too badly. Read the rules, buddy!

I hope you are ok. Sending good thoughts your way. They may take a while to get there though. Trans-atlantic travel is a bit slow these days.

Take care!

Colin said...

It was good to see you Saturday and catch up a bit, Steve. I was right behind you when you pulled over -- been wondering what happened ever since! Hope it turns out not to be too serious ...