"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Thursday, April 29, 2010

Crazy Schedule Doctoring 1

Something's been catching my attention lately: many people are following training schedules they've found and then get frustrated when they can't follow them to the letter. They want someone to tell them what to do, rather than make their own schedule, but then they see that they've got a conflict with other things they have to do (20 miles? I have a wedding to go to!) or they find they can't finish a particular workout and they feel there's something wrong with them - and, if they don't manage to run the time they planned in the race, there's that one workout that they can blame.

I've decided to do a series of posts that will give my idealized training plans for 1.) 100 miles/24 hours, 2.) 5k/10K and 3.) marathon/50K. They are, in a word, impossible. It's easy to make plans that can't be done! The thing to know is how to modify a plan to suit one's needs and abilities and I'll try to show how to do that. I'll try to explain what happens if you skip a particular kind of workout. I'm starting with the monster distances, as I've spent a lot of time on it recently and it's fresh in my mind. Then I'm going to the short stuff, because I know it as well as anyone on the planet. I hope that getting through those will prepare me for the last one, which I expect will have a lot of problems.

8 comments:

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Then I'm going to the short stuff, because I know it as well as anyone on the planet.

Way to wuss out on ranking your knowledge against the rest of the Solar System.

Best on Earth? Pfffttt! Big Deal! Bet there are a bunch of guys from Uranus who are better than you!

(Note: This comment works best if you pronounce it "Your Anus", not "YUR in is".)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Yeah, "I'm Only Sleeping" - another of John's dream world songs. Interestingly, he sings the praises of "float[ing] upstream" in this one while in "Tomorrow Never Knows" (also on Revolver) he tells us to "float downstream".

Geez, Lennon, make up your mind!

There are two slightly different mixes of this song (Capitol records got ahold of it before it was released and included it on the US-only album Yesterday ... and Today; so "I'mOS" didn't appear on the US version of Revolver originally) - and the difference between the two is mostly the backwards guitar riffs.

I always liked this song, too.

Anthology II (I think) has a nice demo of it, too.

I assume all these version are on youtube somewhere ...

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

The demo

nwgdc said...

I'm looking forward to this! Impossible? To quote G: Pffftttt!

Bring it on! AND I'll do the 50k plan WITH A NEWBORN!

Psyche said...

Hey, Steve! I love it when you provide training information, like you did about race strategy. Will be looking forward to your take on Training Plans.

Yep- I figure I'd just run the little guy into the ground. He'll be done with running by age 12 no doubt.

Funny, true story:

I DID ask him if he didn't want to tag along. I said, "it's just a marathon with an extra Half added to it." He reacted by groaning. Then said, "But there is a crazy part of me that knows I COULD do it.."

He totally gets it.

RBR said...

*raises hand*

Can I request a 50 miler plan as well for those of us that need something a little less ambitious than '100 miles in 24 hours' (that plan will be filed under the RBR: Yeah, right! category)?

Great idea. I, for one, appreciate it.

Carl Gammon said...

Personally, I've never found the need to find a training schedule and not follow it. I'm perfectly capable of making up my own training schedule and then not follow it. In fact, I've been doing just that for 30 years now.

Julie said...

Where do I sign up? This will be great for me:) Looking forward to your future posts filled with stellar running information/advice!