"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Friday, January 29, 2010

Brief Happy Running Update

I went running in the Metrodome last night. The plan was to do 4 or 5 miles at about 7 min./mile and then add slow miles to a total of 15. I felt good - for once - and did 4 in 26 minutes, with my heart rate climbing to where it told me I was racing, not really training the way I'd planned (don't expect me to be doing a marathon at the pace any time soon). I dropped the pace down to "nearly stopped" and had to make an emergency restroom stop at 10 miles (80 min.); I couldn't talk myself into doing the last 5 miles.

Goetzke teased me about watching the 1/2 marathon on Saturday instead of running it; I like to think I'm a little more choosey than "Mr. 100 races every year." I'll have to do a short road race this year to prove the point.

I ran briefly at the end with Kurt Decker and we're both happy about having run every day so far this year. I also ran with my cousin, Keith, who told me he's thinking about running the Superior Trail 50 Mile! Hey, it'll be a family reunion! Now I'm really thinking about that race in a warm fuzzy sort of way, which I hope lasts at least until I'm at the top of Carlton Peak that day.

(Oh, and my foot and ankle didn't hurt until I got home.)

5 comments:

Mike Russell said...

Man that is good news -- no pain in the foot and ankle. What did you do before you ran? Stretching? Vitamin I?

wildknits said...

Good news!

Evan Roberts said...

the winter half is a good time to beat Goetzke since he's not the best cold weather runner!

Beth said...

Glad you had a good run. And feeling warm and fuzzy, too. Nice.

SteveQ said...

Evan - I'm not a cold weather racer, either. Goetzke tends to peak for the MDRA series races, particularly the marathons, but he's easy to pick off at short races which he runs every week.

Mike, I don't know what happened. Just a rare good day. Before the run, I unfortunately just ate - which prompted the emergency pit stop.