"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Tuesday, October 13, 2009

If it ain't broke - you ain't tryin'

Done for 2009.

I broke bones in 2007 and 2008, but this year has been generally less traumatic (physically, at least). My sore heels weren't getting better, so I caved and went to the experts. Here's the tally for the right side:

bursitis
plantar fasciitis
deltoid ligament sprain
posterior talofibular sprain
calcanofibular sprain
achilles tendonitis
peroneus tertius tendonitis
peroneus longus tendonitis
flexor hallucis longus tendonitis
possible calcaneal stress fracture

The left foot's not as bad. Bursitis, achilles tendonitis and one sprain.

I SAID my heels hurt!

So, those who expected a stealth attack on another race will be disappointed. I know some expected I'd be at Wild Duluth, Surf the Murph or Nerstrand (or all three) and I thought I'd be doing maybe Run for the Apples or Rocky's Run.

Nope. Done for now...

7 comments:

nwgdc said...

I don't believe you.

I think you just googled "my foot hurts" and copied all the big words you could find.

Just Kidding, rest up and get some work done on those! Balance Ball, YOGA, Swiss Ball, YOGA, will all improve proprioception!

SteveQ said...

Hey Nic, I still have retinaculum, proneus brevis, extensor hallucis longus, flexor digitorum longus, tibialis anterior, tibialis posterior and anterior talofibular left! Staying positive!

nwgdc said...

I have a tough time believing you can claim Anterior Talofibular.
That's the hallmark ligament in an inversion sprain.
Nice try, liar.

Here's a mnemonic I've never forgotten from school, too:

"Tom, Dick, And Harry Ate BLT's at Every Home Game."

Start at the Medial Malleolus and work your way around!

nwgdc said...

Sorry...should be "Half Time" not "Home Game"...

Colin Gardner-Springer said...

Sorry that you've had to shut it down for the year -- but that does sound like the best plan. It's good to see that you're already making big plans for 2010!

Hopefully we'll cross paths sometime next year. We're in the same 10-year age category now, so no more Mr. Nice Guy! :)

Bill S said...

Good Luck, Steve.

Wild Duluth is still looking for volunteers.

wildknits said...

Ah, sorry about the laundry list of injuries... geez - how bad were those heels hurting?!?

So - you could take all this free time you have been presented with and use it to volunteer at races ;->

yes - andy really does need some more volunteers. Almost put myself on that list today when I took a nice fall on my run on the race course. Thankfully no rocks within the landing zone.

See you this Saturday??