"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Briefly, Where Things Stand

I've started running again and can get in literally a mile or two at a fast pace before asthma kicks in. Doing the math regarding my goals for the year and my training so far:

The first goal is to get on the board for the MN athlete of the year. The easiest standard there is a mile in 6:30 and I'm in 6:17 shape right now. The first mile race is in May.

The 5K in under 21:00 is much shakier. I'm in shape right now to run 21:51 +/- 0:17. Doesn't look too bad, until you see that that's 3 standard deviations, meaning 99.5% chance I can't break 21 now. I figure I'm more than 186 days from averaging what I need to to break 21, which puts me at September. That's a long time; a lot can happen by then.

A 5K in under 19 looks out of the question already.

No comments: