"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Sunday, February 16, 2020

One Day's Food

People seem fascinated by what other people eat and, when I say what I eat, no one seems to believe me, so here's everything I ate yesterday. It's pretty typical for me; what's not typical is having every bit of food put in the same place with the same plates and bowls for comparison. If you check the time stamps, every calorie was within a few hours.


 12 oz. black coffee, 1/2 gallon of water. I wake up thirsty. There was more water later, but I wanted to show this.
 1/2 cup mixed berries, 3 apricots, 1/2 peach, 2/3 cup Greek yogurt
 Okay, this is what it looked like when I started eating.
 200 cal. whole-wheat pasta, 1 1/3 c. broccoli, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 Tbsp. vinegar, 2 Tbsp. tomato paste, 1'4 tsp. each of parsley, thyme, mixed Italian herbs.
 Again, not a great presentation.
 1/2 small baked sweet potato (about 2 oz.)
 6 almonds, 1 walnut half, 1 Tbsp. pepitas, 1 Tbsp. peanuts, 1/2 Tbsp. sesame seeds, 1/2 Tbsp. sunflower seeds, 1 tsp. flaxseed.
 Yup, turned into another "dog's dinner."
 4 oz. grapefruit juice.
 2.5 oz. mixed greens (lettuces, spinach, arugula, maybe mizuno), 3/4 oz. kippered herring, 1/2 tsp. capers.
 4 oz. red wine. [Homemade. looks anemic and cloudy]
 Turning into an ad for a grocery store brand, just wanted to show ingredients.
 12 oz. skim milk, 3 Tbsp. cocoa powder.
 1/2 c. red lentils, 4 oz. extra firm tofu, 2 oz. ground turkey breast, 1 shiitake mushroom, 1 ancho pepper, 3 cloves garlic, 1/2 tsp. curry powder
 Even if the color was right on this, the combination doesn't look a whole lot better.
 1/2 c. steel-cut oats, 1 apple (pink lady, I think), 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
 12 oz. black tea (while waiting for the oats to cook)
One last bowl of unappetizing mush.


So... I bake. I don't cook. But when people suggest, "maybe you could eat better," I wonder how.

No comments: