"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Friday, May 18, 2018

Crunch Time and Some Hard Questions

I had planned to be in shape and have several races under my belt by this time of the year, but find myself to be way behind what I expected. There were injuries - some new - and illnesses and a spring that never arrived. Now I have 4 weeks until where I hoped to peak and 8 until my last chance to race what I want this year (what a short season!)


Tomorrow I have a hard track workout scheduled. I may not even have a track to run on, as I have to work around school schedules. The questions start to arise: Should I just bag this year? Have I been kidding myself and have I been retired all this time? If I have a surprisingly good workout, do I test myself in a race soon? What if it's just one bad workout? Should I be planning for something else, perhaps this fall, and give myself more time to do it right?

1 comment:

Double said...

Jump on in the water’s fine. Do what you feel like each day. At some point you go with what the day gives you. I’m just inventing workouts on the fly. You are better than me at it. I just have to get out most days. Some days you stomp the grapes and other days you drink the wine.