"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Monday, March 13, 2017

A Bit of a Whine

It's a miracle that I can run at all, so it doesn't make sense to complain when things get a bit tough. It's also Lent, and you're not supposed to brag about how difficult what you're doing is, nor complain about how hard it is.

But you couldn't do it. And right now, it sucks.

I got into heavy training a couple of weeks ago and now the weather's gone bad just at the worst possible time. Saturday, I did hill repeats for two hours in sub-zero wind chill [and whoever of you it was who honked at me from your white truck: you have tinted windows. No one can tell who you are. But thanks, anyway; I was at a particularly low point]. Sunday was a long run - with speed work - and it was still below zero and I quit early because my arms went numb (and daylight saving didn't help matters). Last night it snowed, so I had to shovel before I ran and I ended up running in snow, still below zero wind chill. Tomorrow's the last tough day, for a few days at least, and it will STILL be below zero and I have to run hills, probably in the dark and probably on glare ice. We'll see.

I don't know how I'm going to get through tomorrow.

I'm doing the Great Lent, 48 consecutive days of minor fasting, and coinciding with heavy training, I've lost a lot of weight. My clothes don't fit. I'm always tired and a little grumpy.

My heels hurt even while I sleep.

I also gave up social media, so I don't have a lot of places to bitch and moan. Okay, so I've done that. [By the way, I had to do a 80 minute software update on my Suunto watch and it erased all my data. I hate that watch so much.]

On to tomorrow.

The $15000 baton relay

Update: The Return of Cool Hand

I did Tuesday's workout as if I were born to it.

2 comments:

Kinthelt said...

Not on a road towards injury?

SteveQ said...

I'm red-lining it. Fortunately, I have some easy days ahead and, if I don't recover quickly, I'll take some days off.