"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Brief tendon rehab update

I'm approaching 120 days of trying to fix the unfixable achilles tendons. This means I've finished with myofasical release and nearly done with eccentric strengthening and I'm moving on to more running-like activities. I've made tremendous progress on propioception and balance - the test is to stand on your non-dominant leg, close your eyes and see how long you can go without opening your eyes or falling. I couldn't do 2 seconds (8 is common for men my age, 20 excellent and 60 ideal for young men) and am now up to 47, though I do it with a lot of hopping in place.

I've been working on strengthening through jump training as well. My standing broad jump went from 4'7" to 5'10" (I thought it was more, but mismeasured); matching one's height is generally the goal, so I'm just short. I improved my vertical leap to 16 inches, which is okay.

But, more importantly, I'm running a bit. I've slowed down from the 8.5 minute miles I was doing recently to 9.5-10 again, but I'm doing more miles, often twice a day.

What this blog needs another creepy photo.




No comments: