"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Rest, Rehab, Recover

I walked away from the sport. I had nothing left and decided I wouldn't try to run again until I really wanted to do it. When I finally felt like running, I warmed up a bit and then started...

The first step, it felt like I'd been shot in the hip with a harpoon. Momentum threw me forward onto the other leg - and I felt like I'd been struck by lightning in that hip. Legs crumpling beneath me, self-preservation and habit kept me upright for the next few stumbled steps. Total mileage: 8 feet.

These weren't even the injuries I was worried about!

Rest had done nothing but made me stiffer. I could walk without pain, so I went for a walk. Afterward, I did a check to see which muscles and tendons were sensitive. Dozens hurt.

I'd gone to watch a few races recently. Some guys moved with a grace and fluidity that was a joy to see. Others moved "like old men." Repeated small injuries had caused some people to change the way they ran, without their being aware of it. That made me think that I too had probably done that and I recalled photos of my running, both good and bad.

Okay: 2008 Trail Mix winning kick
Bad: 2009 Zumbro, mile 80

1983: sub-34 minute 10K
It's time to fix the problems. Then maybe... just maybe... it's "rest, rehab, recover, RETURN."

6 comments:

Karen said...

Good luck! :)

Alene Gone Bad said...

I knew it. Just a matter of time.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Mr. Quick!

Anonymous said...

By the way, I wish that I could look that good at mile 80 of any race.

wildknits said...

There we go...!!!!

Running with MTP said...

Rehab?

I think for a runner ~ or any athlete rehab has to be active. When I do nothing I get so stiff it is unbearable.

To fix problems it often takes strength training (with or without weights)

Take your time and rehab right!