"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Thursday, August 16, 2012

Record Keeping (brief note)

After a week of training, I find myself in about 6:30 mile shape (if that doesn't mean anything, it's maybe 3:45 marathon shape) and a little perturbed at just how out of shape I am. So, I went back to my records and, in January and February, when I last ran a bit, I started in about 6:24 shape, had a good week, two bad weeks, a good week, two bad weeks, a good week where I was in about 6:16 shape... and then sprained my ankle, was out for 6 weeks, then started having allergy and asthma problems.

So nothing's changed, except I'm wearing less clothing now that it's summer.

And my main competition in my age class just ran a 15K in 52:07, which is about 4:40-4:45 mile shape.

Yikes.

2 comments:

SteveQ said...

Darn. No one even commented on how stupid it is to compare my running to someone who's national class.

Alene Gone Bad said...

Yeah Steve, as if I need to say this to you, but I will anyway, Not only is it a bad idea to compare yourself to someone else you're not consistently running against, there's a saying "You're only as good as your last race" and if that race was a long time ago, it all goes out the window. Better to just gauge your improvement by comparing yourself to yourself with a starting point now. There, someone commented on how stupid it is. Hope that relieves the anxiety. :-)