"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Monday, August 20, 2012

Awkward High Jump Photos

The NBC broadcast coverage of the women's Olympic high jump took about 90 seconds and showed 6 jumps from 4 women. That did tell the story, but I wondered what happened to some of my favorite athletes who obviously weren't in the running for medals. The NBC web video has 7 hours of footage (which takes 8 hours to watch, with all the ads) and is really difficult to navigate, so I started looking for other coverage. What I found is, I think, amusing.

There are a lot of photos of Irina Gordeeva, but you have to wonder what the photographers were looking for. Here's what I mean:



Odd. But 6'1" and 121 lbs. is odd, too.

Okay perv, move on.


Still pervy - but nicely balanced composition


It's a common name; this woman also crops up.

Finally, a reasonable photo.
So how'd she do? 10th place, 1.93 meters.

2 comments:

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Okay - so the guy who posts all these pix of the bone-skinny high-jumper in provocative kinder-whore poses (legs spread wide and thrust into the air; a pose Teh 'Bride calls "choppin'"¹) is accusing the photographers of being pervy?

You're familiar with the non-cinematic definition of "projection", no?
_____
¹ Funny story re: "choppin': When I was a teen, we (me an' my crew, that is) would say that any girl who sat with her legs apart was "chuckin' a spread". I told Teh 'Bride this once, years ago, adding, "Or we'd just sa

y she was 'chuckin'', for short." For some reason, Teh 'Bride misheard this and insists I said "choppin'" - as if I'd get my own fucking slang term wrong - and she said "choppin'" the first time she tried to use the term and refused to be corrected.

Told you the story wasn't funny.

SteveQ said...

G: It was kinda funny the first time you told it...