"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Sunday, May 27, 2012

Dr. Amykins and Beulah-Mae

Time for a personal life update. The women in my life at the moment:

Trailer Park Goth Girl is back for the summer and she's stopped trying to be someone else and has instead become someone. This is about as close to a "proud Papa" moment as I'm ever going to have.

Had dinner with Dr. Amykins... eventually; the problem with dating medical residents is usually scheduling. How'd it go? "I'm a doctor and you know what makes me great? I can really relate to my patients because I'm just like they are. Only I'm better. Because I'm a doctor." Not an actual quote, but you get the idea.

I finally got to meet Beulah-Mae, who just might be perfect. First, she's pretty in an unconventional way (and yes, if you've been reading this blog for any length of time, that means exactly what you think it does); it's very hard to tell her apart from her sister Lulubelle until they smile and I expect her baby sister Maybelline may turn out to be the real beauty of the family in 10 years or so. Second, she's bright and I'm interested in what she does and our educational backgrounds are similar enough that I can talk with her as an equal about what she does. Then we have the same religious background, which helps; I was a bit worried that she would be from the pentecostal (happy Pentecost, btw) evangelical jump-up-and-down-shout-hallelujah branch of my particular faith - and so far we seem to have similar political values. She's very down-to-earth, rather reserved, almost impossibly sweet and polite.

Unfortunately, it appears I don't really care for perfect. All the while we were together, I found myself thinking about Sprightly Fox-Sparrow, who is a terrible match for me on paper. Alas, the heart wants what the heart wants.

(hint hint)


No comments: