"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Friday, September 24, 2010

and I Caved After 13 Days

If there was a pool going as to how long I'd go without running, the answer turned out to be 13 days. I awoke at 3 AM and couldn't go back to sleep, so I did every mind-bogglingly dull (yet Steve-ishly weird) thing I could, including creating a sudoku puzzle.

That's not a typo. I didn't solve one, I created one. And it's tough! Perhaps as tough as figuring out how to type it so it comes out right here.

___'843'1__
___'6__'829
___'___'__5
..............
4__'__2'6__
__9'__6'___
3__'47_'_8_
..............
__6'_5_'___
2__'___'_3_
___'__1'___

That should keep Xenia from her dissertation for a while! [evil laugh: Bwah-hah-hah-hah]

Around dawn, I couldn't stand it any longer, so I got dressed and went for a run. The first quarter mile was good. I managed 10 miles, but the back isn't right and the heels are no better than they were two weeks ago.

I got a second opinion from a sports podiatrist. Bilateral retrocalcaneal bursitis as a result of Haglund's deformity, requiring Keck and Kelly osteotomies on both heels.

Screw it. Six months on crutches per leg? Ice and pain relievers have worked for 35 years.

9 comments:

Colin said...

Thanks for the Sudoku -- you're right, it was tough! Can I have the last 45 minutes of my life back?

Here's one vote for listening to the doctors, even if it does mean 6 months on crutches.

SteveQ said...

I was thinking of having a contest for solving it - should've guessed the math guy would ring in first!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Ice and pain relievers have worked for 35 years.

Yeah, define "worked".

I actually saw Patti Smith live a couple of times, the last time being at a rally to support Ralph Nader - I was there more for him than to see her - and she performed ""People Have The Power" with just this dude accompanying her on acoustic guitar. And it was really funny because his guitar strap broke halfway through the song and she was kneeling in front of him trying to fix it as he played and from certain angles it looked as though she was giving him a BJ.

Good times.

It wasn't my point to claim R. Davies is the poet laureate of rock; only to point out that one guy (P.T.) who could lay legitimate claim to that title thinks he (Davies) is.

Dylan's a bit too astringent for my taste to be considered the poet laureate, although he's obviously got a great ability with words and is unafraid to sound stupid (which he sometimes does) to come up with striking combinations.

I like me some Leonard Cohen, too. But he's Kanadian and therefore disqualified.

C said...

I don't even want to say how long I spent doing your sudoku puzzle. At least I was successfully able to complete it.

You're a freaking evil genius.

RBR said...

*shakes head*

I guess, I should have known the new "take care of himself Steve" would not last.

Did not try the Sudoku. I have never played. I am pretty sure your mater mind is not the one to start with.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

"Mater mind"?

Not only does RBR think your mind has a vagina, she thinks it's given birth!

Hahahahaha! SteveQ's mind has stretch marks!

Now you know how Chris Christie's @$$ feels.

PiccolaPineCone said...

13 days shows remarkable restraint in my books... is that a no running PB?
Did not try the soduko... my day job is already too hard for me, my brain needs to veg during my off time.

Anonymous said...

Isn't Haglund's deformity caused primarily by shoes? I would think notching the heal out of your shoe would ease the pain, or just go barefoot. What good is surgery if you don't figure out what caused it in the first place?
Also have you ever considered cross training, perhaps water running.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I think the only way you can combat Haglund's Deformity is to cultivate Hagrid's Deformity because all you'd have to do is gain about 150 lbs and grow out your hair a foot or two along with your beard.

Then just spend all your spare time "protecting" a weedy-looking pre-teen boy who is "special" to you. Because that's not at ALL creepy-sounding.

When word gets out, your deformed heels will be the least of your worries.

Hope this helps!