"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Truly random notes

State Fair Foods

I have a collection of each type of stick for foods-on-a-stick at the Minnesota State Fair. I just checked the new foods for this year and I'm trying to find out if the pickle juice push-up has a stick. The tater tots on a stick are supposed to be new, but I swear I've had them. The green beans on a stick (Leprechaun Legs) at least will have some fiber. Left to do from last year: ostrich teriyaki, frozen Red Bull and the larger Bomb Pop and all-day sucker (didn't realize there were two sizes with different sticks).

There are at least two blogs devoted to food at that fair. One has a photo of the salmon on a stick with a different stick than I have, so I have to go back...

Reindeer

Apparently, the domestication of the reindeer is reversing for the first time in 10000 years. The Lapps now use snowmobiles, so they don't spend every minute of every day with the herds and the animals are getting to fear people again. Maybe high gas prices will change that (it's an ill wind that blows no one good).

Ravages of Time

I saw an ad for Victoria's Secret that had a model that looked like a woman I dated in college. I went digging around to find my one photo of Theresa (my friend Scott once claimed I dated seven short red-haired women named Theresa in a row. This one was a blonde). I prepared myself for the outdated hair and clothes and remembered that Theresa was noticeably shorter and heavier than models - the understatement of the year - but thought the resemblance would still be apparent.

I laughed so hard I cried. I must've really been in love! I looked her up; she and her husband are pediatricians in San Francisco. We reconnected and... she's aged better than I have. And I've invited her to leave a nasty message in the comments here.

2 comments:

keith said...

I think you might be confusing tater tots on a stick with tater tot hotdish on a stick.

I think I will attain nirvana once I perfect deep-fried chocolate chip cookies. On a stick.

phillip gary said...

Always entertaining, Steve, your 'on-the-stick' article really hit home.

Mainly because I'm waiting to do a stick creation but havn't found or taken the time to produce it.

The other is I wrote an article for Snowshoe Magazine that added a new category:

"Snowshoes-On-A-Stick"

http://www.snowshoemagazine.com/view_content.cfm?content_id=357

In most cases, the ground eats the snowshoes . . . .

No snow in the snowshoe section at Afton this weekend.

Plenty of sticks, though . . . .

Phillip Gary Smith