"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Friday, December 7, 2007

Change of course

Recent runs

12/2. 10 miles in 87, after shoveling snow
12/3. 8 in 69, after large meal
12/4. 4 in 35. I had a half-eaten mallard dropped on me by an eagle! Does this happen to anyone else?!
12/5. 4 in 34. (HRav=146, pk=177). Ran up the mile-long hill at Mounds Park twice, as hard as possible. Slowed the last 150 yards. Again, after shoveling.
12/6. 10 in 89.

'Tis the season to reassess

I thought I was just feeling a little low because I'd had three colds in a row and then the weather got bad. Then, I realized that I hadn't been eating right, was sleeping whenever I could and wasn't getting anything done. Hadn't been to church in a month (unusual for me; I went years without missing a service), hadn't volunteered at my favorite charity for three months, hadn't kept in touch with family and friends, didn't get the yard raked before it snowed (and the inside of the house was starting to look like bachelor's quarters)...

Classic signs of depression.

So, I'm doing all the things I need to do to get back to "normal." And, I'm trying to hold onto the things that make me smile. Here's two (this borrowed computer won't let me upload the videos for some reason):

Fratellis: Chelsea Dagger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPUZqcibh4E

Complaint choir
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiKb1sOM4Z8

This Month's Challenge

Anyone interested in trying to run the six longest stairways in St. Paul? 76 flights of steps (I think) and not exactly next to each other.

2 comments:

keith said...

Steve,

That winter low/no sunlight can be a real bear.

However, whatever it takes...

I hope you come around the bend soon. I can completely relate to the winter blahs.

What church do you go to?

SteveQ said...

Thanks, Keith. It's not seasonal - that's sort of what I thought at first. I attend Spirit Garage, which meets at the Music Box Theater on Nicollet, where I'm one of the "old guys."

Check the post again; I added something.